Access Services Librarian
The University of Colorado William A. Wise Law Library has an opening for an Access Services and Research Librarian. This position is an opportunity for a newer law librarian to manage the daily operations of circulation services, earn supervisory experience, increase their knowledge of research resources and methods, and develop their skill as an instructor. The position requires a librarian with a heart for customer service and an ability to complete the many and varied tasks of circulation services in a timely and efficient manner.
About the William A. Wise Law Library
The Wise Law Library is a state-of-the-art facility that houses the largest collection of legal materials in the Rocky Mountain region. The Law Library provides a welcoming environment for all, encourages creative contributions, and supports the vision of the law school: A supportive and diverse community of scholars and students in a place that inspires vigorous pursuit of ideas, critical analysis, and civic engagement in order to advance the rule of law in an open, sustainable society.Please visit the law school’s website (www.colorado.edu/law) for more information about the University of Colorado Law School and Boulder, Colorado.
About the Position
Under the supervision of the Head of Public Services, the Access Services and Research Librarian is responsible for managing circulation services, including supervising approximately 20 student workers, managing the student worker budget and providing training on circulation functions. The successful candidate will also participate in providing reference and research services to the students, faculty and public and teach legal research in classroom settings and in individual and small group instruction.
- Oversee all circulation desk activities.
- Serve as a resource to all library employees for all circulation unit functions.
- Staff circulation desk for several shifts weekly.
- Ensure cleanliness and orderliness of circulation area and law library.
- Oversee all stacks maintenance activities ensuring shelving is performed correctly.
- Recommend and manage shifting projects.
- Implement regular inventory of collection to identify mis-shelved and missing items.
- Ensure circulation desk is staffed during all library hours and that other functions of circulation department are being performed.
- Interview, hire, supervise and train approximately 20 student workers.
- Prepare and post weekly circulation desk schedules, and timely communicate any scheduling deficiencies to supervisor.
- Authorize and monitor spending on student labor and keep spending within established budget.
- Responsible for all circulation financial transactions.
- Research, create and update a best practices manual for access policies.
- Develop training materials for circulation activities, and provide group and individual training as required to ensure circulation workers understand and can perform job functions.
- Review and update circulation information on the law library website, as needed.
- Maintain circulation-related LibGuides.
- Train and direct the work of other library technicians during their shifts at the Circulation/Reserve Desk.
- Recommend policies and implement and document approved procedures related to the circulation unit.
- Oversee the processing of notices and bills for unreturned and recalled items.
- In coordination with the Head of Public Services, identify, collect and report on Public Service department statistics;
- Provide reference services on Sundays and other days as needed.
- Teach legal research in formal and informal settings.
- In coordination with the Outreach and Student Services Librarian, prepare a monthly post on a library research database for posting to law library social media outlets.
- Participate in Library meetings, collection development, tours and perform other duties as assigned.
- Participate in law school activities, as appropriate.
- MLS or equivalent degree from an accredited institution; and
- JD from an accredited institution.
- Experience with software productivity applications, especially spreadsheet programs such as Microsoft Excel.
- Experience using an integrated library system.
- Familiarity with legal resources and research methods.
- Exhibits professionalism by being dependable, reliable, timely,and flexible.
- Demonstrates creative problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication, listening and interpersonal skills.
- Superlative customer services skills.
- Experience supervising personnel.
- Experience developing work schedules.
- Experience managing a budget.
- Familiarity with circulation functions of an integrated library system (ILS)
- Teaching experience
This position is scheduled to work Sunday through Thursday throughout most of the year.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and includes a full range of benefits and support for professional development. This is a permanent full-time position with the rank of instructor. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services. For additional information about the University of Colorado at Boulder, go to: www.colorado.edu/about.
About the University of Colorado
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living, and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations for this position include criminal.