Faculty Research & Reference Librarian
The University of Michigan Law Library seeks a Faculty Research & Reference Librarian to join our highly engaged and collaborative team of librarians dedicated to providing excellent and innovative services to law faculty and students. Spring/Summer 2020 graduates are encouraged to apply.
The University of Michigan Law School has approximately 100 full-time and 75 part-time faculty, and approximately 1,000 J.D., 40 L.L.M., and 7 S.J.D. students. With over 1 million volumes, the Law Library has one of the world’s premier collections, including extensive foreign, comparative, and international law materials. The University of Michigan is located in Ann Arbor, which is considered among the best places in the United States to live and work.
Responsibilities: Under the general direction of the Head of Reference & Research Services, the Faculty Research & Reference Librarian will have the following responsibilities:
- Manage, supervise, and coordinate the Faculty Research Service, including hiring, training, and supervising student employees.
- Perform in-depth, expert legal and non-legal research for law faculty.
- Work with Head of Reference & Research Services to assign research or complex requests to other Reference Librarians as needed.
- Provide reference service in all areas of law for all jurisdictions, as well as in non-law subject areas.
- Participate in the evening and weekend rotation at the reference desk.
- Provide one-time research instruction sessions in law school classes and individual or group research consultations.
- Participate in outreach efforts to law students.
- Create and update research guides.
- Fill in for other reference librarians and provide back-up supervision for unit functions during vacations and other absences, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Salary: minimum $63,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications; benefits worth 28% of salary. Additional support is available for professional development activities.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
- J.D. from ABA-accredited law school.
- Master’s degree from an A.L.A. accredited school of information or library science.
- Knowledge of and proficiency with a wide range of legal information sources and research methods.
- Some experience performing legal research in an academic, court or law firm setting.
- Strong service orientation.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and as part of a team.
- Creativity and adaptability in the face of multiple simultaneous demands.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends at the reference desk on a rotating basis.
- Licensed to practice law in one or more U.S. states.
- Some experience performing reference work in an academic law library and/or experience in a large research library.
- Ability to work with foreign language materials.
- Strong problem-solving and leadership skills
- Proven ability to work effectively with other decision-makers.
- Experience using and familiarity with emerging technologies.
Additional Salary Information: Benefits worth 28% of salary. Additional support is available for professional development activities.